Sunday, February 27, 2011

What can I do?

I can't find the words to express the shock and grief I have felt since my father's hometown was changed forever last Tuesday.  Christchurch was struck by a violent earthquake a little before 1pm in the afternoon, barely 5 months after a massive 7.1 quake shook the city last September.  That time we were lucky, this time we were not.  "A Nation in Mourning" used to sound like media silliness to me, but now that is exactly what we are, a nation shocked and grieving, our understanding of the world forever shaken.

These things happen in other places, to other people don't they?

These are our friends, our families, our workmates, the strangers we pass on the street. 

I don't know what to say, but here are a few things I can do:

Donate online to the Red Cross, or the Salvation Army . 

Bid on the fabulous charity auctions now running on Trademe:


Bake for this slightly crazy but completely wonderful idea: The Great Sunday Bake Off

Take care and kia kaha, Christchurch!

No comments:

Post a Comment