Thursday, December 3, 2009

Broad Beans and the Easiest Ever Apron-from-a-Tea-Towel


It doesn't feel much like summer when it's 10.8C ("feels like 8" the Metservice helpfully told me on their website, yes, I know, I felt it!), but the masses of broad beans in my Broadbean Jungle suggest maybe better weather really is on it's way.  I love the green of them when they're young - very spring.  Also, I love blue and white china, so I'm showing off my plate.



I must have been stuck inside too long this week, because today I got out my Bernina and made an apron out of a tea towel.

Here's how to do it:
Find a funky tea towel.
Cut it to the size you want, perhaps 2/3 of a tea towel.
Use the cut off portion to make ties.

My tea towel came with built in trim and embroidered rooster, as soon as I saw it I knew it really wanted to be an apron.  As the towel had more trim along the top I cut a wide strip off the top and sewed it back on as a waistband, cunningly concealing where I sewed the ties on.

Truely sewing for dummies.  Even I managed to break only 1 needle and sew things together the wrong way no more than 2 or 3 times. 

I really should not be let near sewing machines!  To be honest, I've never broken a sewing machine needle in life before - but I always sew something the wrong way round.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I sound like the same kind of sewer, only I do tend to break at least one needle everytime I sew AND put something together that needs unpicking (like a sleeve in the wrong way on my attempt last weekend lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love broad beans but the rest of my family hate them! Maybe I should present them on a gorgeous blue plate :)
    P.S. - put a little reminder sticker on the front of your sewing machine which says: "Right sides together". It works!

    ReplyDelete